Department of Anaesthesia
Fixed Term - Part time
(20 hrs per fortnight) 16/05/17 to 17/11/17
Ballarat Health Services are currently accepting Expressions of Interest for a VMO Anaesthetist within the Anaesthetic department.
Ballarat Health Services comprises the Base Hospital (221 acute beds), Queen Elizabeth Centre (Sub Acute Care 70 beds) and Psychiatric Services (67 beds]. New short stay unit and modern, emergency, critical care, ambulatory, aged care and rehabilitation facilities uniquely integrate in-patient, ambulatory, community and home based services. Ballarat Health Services is a major training site for the University of Melbourne and Deakin Rural Clinical Schools. Senior staff are strongly committed to teaching and the professional development of Interns, HMOs and Registrars.
Ballarat Health Services is an expanding and well regarded multi-service regional health organisation, and a major service provider for the Grampians region (pop: 200,000+) with over 24,000 annual admissions.
Ballarat offers a superb regional lifestyle with excellent public and private schools, recreational and sporting facilities, shopping, entertainment and cultural pursuits. Country or city living is available within minutes of the hospital and there is easy access to Melbourne (80 minutes).
Anaesthetics – why Ballarat?
• Join a team of 27 Consultant anaesthetists and intensivists, 7 anaesthetic registrars and 2 HMO's.
• The six main theatres and 2 Procedure Rooms undertake nearly 10,000 cases per year.
• A busy ICU of 11 beds (5 ventilated) is associated with the department.
• Pain Service, an Obstetric Service (1200 deliveries pa), and a Day Procedure unit.
• Excellent opportunities to use your non-clinical time for research, teaching and other professional development activities
• All surgery specialties are catered for with the exception of cardiac surgery and neurosurgery. In particular, opportunities exist to gain further experience in paediatric and obstetric anaesthesia prior to commencing specialist practice.
• Medical students from the University of Melbourne (Rural Clinical School) and Deakin Clinical School attend and undertake their anaesthetic training in the department.
• A long established culture of audit exists, with M&M Meetings being held every second week, and reports prepared and presented in the VCCAMM format.
You will be a registered medical practitioner (AHPRA). FANZCA essential. Enquiries to be directed to Dr Fred Rosewarne, Director of Anaesthesia, (03) 5320 4590, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be submitted online. Applications close on
All appointments are subject to a satisfactory Police Records Check & Immunisation Clearance.